Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A day at the hospital

Well, who doesn't love to spend their time at the hospital??

Yesterday Faith woke up with a VERY stiff neck. Like she couldn't move her head in any direction, and screamed when you tried to touch her. So of course, I figure she slept on it the wrong way and she will be fine. She stayed home from school (missing a field trip). A few hours passed and she just kept getting worse, so finally I decided to take her to the doctor. I won't go into details about the complete horribleness of the doctor we dealt with (suffice it to say that I am filing a formal complaint about her). Anyway, she comes back into the room and informs me that she has called an ambulance to transport Faith to the ER. Suspected menengitis. So there I am with four of my kids SCREAMING because they are so scared. The doctor just leaves the room. I find her and tell her that NO way is Faith going on an ambulance by herself, I will drive her to the ER (which is five minutes away). The doctor tells me that I will have to sign a statement that I went against medical advice. Of course she says this like I am a bad parent. FINE. I sign, I rush to the ER where Brock meets me (apparently a Hyundai can go over 100 miles an hour). The staff at Anne Arundel Medical Center is wonderful. The nurse we first met was so kind to Faith. Brought her a hand made blankie to keep, explained everything she was doing BEFORE doing it. The pediatrician we met was fabulous. Checked Faith out and diagnosed.... Torticollos, which is basically a pulled neck muscle. He said the fever and headache were just Faiths body processing the pain. So he prescribed Motrin, heat on the neck and a SLURPEE.. Now how many of you have had a prescription for a slurpee???
Faith is doing fine now and will return to school tomorrow....

No comments: